Social Media Evaluation

So I googled my name. The results weren’t all that exciting. My Facebook came up first, followed by a comment on CU Confessions about my friend and I being “the hottest roommate duo on campus” (obviously a joke). Other relevant results included this blog and a cross country profile from high school that I definitely did not make, along with a Prezi on Hamlet I did for an English class. Pretty random stuff.

Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 1.28.12 AM

That being said, I need to step my social media presence up. I am consistently active on Twitter, but for some reason my account did not come up. Yet for now, I’m perfectly fine with that. While I can see how Twitter is a valuable networking tool, I personally feel that in this point in my life that is not what I need to use it for. For me it is simply recreational. I have just under 400 followers, which isn’t too shabby if you ask me. In order to make my brand more professional, it is essential that I do away with the procrastination and finally make a LinkedIn profile. In my opinion, this is the most important social media tool a college student can utilize.

Screen Shot 2014-02-03 at 1.42.57 AM

My Klout score was a 28, which wasn’t exactly a surprise considering I’m only active on two social media sites. 62% of my social media activity comes from Twitter, while the other 38% is from Facebook. I’m curious to see how this score will raise as new Google +, Instagram, and LinkedIn accounts are factored in.


Why Klout isn’t all it’s chalked up to be…

And how college students like myself can get the most of Twitter…!ufDol



Hold the Mirror Pics, Please

The social media site I have the greatest presence on is without a doubt Twitter. My tweets are a way to express my opinions on whatever is currently occupying my scattered brain. Occasionally I will quote my friends if they say something funny or stupid. Some people have told me my tweets are very funny, but I like to assume those people are lying to keep my ego down. I made my account private in high school because family members (both immediate and distant) were spending way too much time sorting through and criticizing my tweets; that grew old rather quick. In addition, I knew I would likely need to make my account private when I began searching for employment. So for the sake of this class, I will probably just create another account. While I do have a Facebook account, I barely use it at this point. I haven’t posted a status in close to two years, but I check it occasionally to look at photos of family and friends or photos that I have been tagged in.

Screen Shot 2014-01-20 at 12.36.46 AM

That being said, there are several aspects of social media I dislike. I don’t like “selfies”, especially when a mirror is included. My hatred for this type of post is exemplified when the aforementioned mirror is found in a gym. Nothing says, “Hey look at me, I’m a tool!” more than taking a mirror pic at the gym. Another thing I dislike about social media, specifically Facebook, is random friend and follower requests. Now I know it may be rather difficult to believe, but you have to trust me when I tell you I’m not nearly as cool as I appear. If we haven’t met in person, chances are we probably don’t need to be meeting online. Fortunately, nothing about social media, including these two pet peeves, make me nervous. Ironically, I just did a speech last semester for COM 152 about social media addiction and the fear of missing out (also known as FOMO). Fortunately, I do not possess either of these conditions.

Although I once worshipped Facebook and wanted absolutely nothing to do with Twitter, my favorite social media site is now definitely the latter. Furthermore, I am looking forward to joining LinkedIn because I’ve been thinking a lot about internships and career opportunities this year. Also, I am pleased with the amount of blog posts we will be having. I made a blog for the class “Introduction to Mass Communication Technology” my freshman year, but we weren’t assigned that many posts. I returned to this blog over fall break because I had absolutely nothing to do, but after I few posts I parted ways with it once again. I have come to understand that blogging is surprisingly hard to do on a regular basis, at least in my opinion. In essence, that is what I would like to get out of this class – a solid LinkedIn profile and an impressive blog, both of which I can use as powerful networking tools as well as ways to demonstrate my strong written skills. Overall, I am looking forward to this class and its variety of outcomes.

Screen Shot 2014-01-20 at 12.36.27 AM


And for more on social media…